WEST-E and NES
Washington State requires teacher candidates and teachers adding endorsements to pass the state approved content test(s) for each endorsement to be earned.
The content tests are:
- Washington Educator Skills Test (WEST-E)
- National Evaluation Series (NES) tests
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) oral and written proficiency tests for candidates seeking a foreign language or bilingual endorsement, see below
Woodring College of Education teacher candidates must pass the content test(s) for every endorsement to be earned with a teacher certificate as a condition of entering the student teaching internship.
Format of the NES and WEST-E tests
Both of these content tests are administered by National Evaluation Systems of Pearson. Test preparation and registration information are available through the Washington Educator Skills Test Website.
Candidates are responsible for reviewing the Woodring College of Education Content Test Resource site for current registration and test information.
- Candidates earning a Bilingual Education endorsement must pass the Bilingual WEST-E test and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Mid Level or higher.
- The World Languages WEST-E test for candidates earning Chinese, French, German, Japanese and/or Spanish endorsements is shorter and offered at a reduced price. Candidates must also pass the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Low level or higher.
- Please see detailed ACTFL registration directions here.